Friday, April 24, 2009

Friday Photo Story: First Baseball Practce

We have been through many extra curricular activities with Noah, trying to find his niche. There always seems to be something that just doesn't click to make it an activity that he wants to continue.

We tried soccer



2007











We tried self defense





2008













We've tried gymnastics


2009










We don't want to force anything on him, but we also want to give him a chance to try different things to find something that he might enjoy and possibly excel.

So Wednesday night we tried another...Little League.

I was worried that it would be like all the rest....novelty wearing off and seeming like too much work for him to want to see it through.

I was also worried that he would be behind the rest of the kids in his age group since it was his first year. I thought maybe he would be the only kid using a tee while the rest of the kids used the pitch machine and I feared that he would be out playing the sand way more than he actually paid attention to what was going on.

I MAY have been worrying for nothing. We may have found one that is going to stick with.

We got there late since I had gone to the wrong field for practice. But it was okay and he jumped right into playing catch with the other kids on his little team.

Then it was time to start batting. He was a little confused when it was time to put on a helmet



















but once he got up to the plate, he was open to stance help from the coach.



















And after watching a few of the pitches go past him,



















he made amazing contact with ball and got it out toward third base.



















I like how the coach had the practice structured. The each got two turns to bat and then rotated around the infield waiting for the ball to be hit to them.

I was so surprised at Noah in the "outfield" as well. I expected him to spend his entire time doing this:



















But surprisingly enough, each time a kid hit the ball, he hustled to be the first one to pick it up and throw it to first base.



















It was so much fun to watch him. I will miss his Monday night practices since I'll be teaching, but you can bet I'll be one of the loudest cheering on Wednesdays, and I am looking forward to when the games start (even though I have no idea when that will be yet).

The coach ended practice by letting the kids "run a home run" around the field twice, which other moms have told me ends up being the kids' favorite part of practices.














So of course, after a great first practice, there was only one way to celebrate...



















I have no idea if this will be "his thing" or not, but right now he is eager to go back on Monday and that's about all I can ask. I was so proud watching him tonight and you can be sure that I will be subjecting you to MANY baseball pictures in the weeks to come.

Have a great weekend.

4 comments:

Mom Knows Everything said...

He looks like he had a ball and really enjoyed the ice cream. Have a great weekend!

KC said...

Glad he seems to be enjoying it.. hope it last.. and yum icecream

bethn said...

We've been doing the same with Alex over the years, and still haven't found his thing either. It sure looked like Noah had a great time. Don't you just love it when they have fun and follow directions.

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

He looks so grown up and handsome, Kristi!

Now you got me craving a McD's sundae at 4am!!!!

xoxo, Veronica in CA