Tuesday, March 24, 2009

First Morning and a Breakfast with Character

After two full days of driving, we went to bed Sunday night in our condo looking forward to beginning our vacation with a bang.

Monday morning was Steve's birthday so Steve's parents who were also down at the same time wanted to spend his birthday with him. They treated us to a character breakfast at the Polynesian Resort.

We were supposed to meet at the resort at 8:30 to check in for the 9:15 breakfast. Since we were up early anyway, we decided to head over early and see if we could get a quick trip around the park on the monorail. (We didn't know that we were in for A LOT of monorails before the week was over!)
We got to the resort at 8:00 and went to ride.

Since the monorail was empty and it was early in the morning, we were invited to be "assistant engineers". We stepped right into the front by the driver and posed for our first of MANY "brother shots".

They were very excited to be able to see right out the front...

until it started moving.
Then, Aaron got a little freaked out and ran to hide in my arms for the remainder of the trip.

At the time we were worried that this was going to be Aaron's reaction to everything at "The World"

As I will share later, that worry vanished very quickly.

So after our quick spin around, it was time to head into the Polynesian to be seated for our breakfast. We were each given leis to get into the Ohana spirit, which the boys quickly shed as soon as they could. Mine remained in the stroller the rest of the week.

Steve was excited to get a birthday card from the characters at the breakfast.

Aaron was a bit grumpy for a large part of it and we chalked it up to nerves. Noah also was acting a bit under the weather and it was the first time of many throughout the day that he was starting to run a FEVER. I ended up leaving the breakfast table to run to the gift shop to get him some chewable Tylenol, which he took at regular intervals the entire day.

I will continue on THAT story another post.
But the characters were still a hit. It seemed that each time we started eating (or getting a child to eat) a character was appearing, tapping the boys on the head as a greeting.

Our breakfast for the morning was served "family style" which meant that a big tray of food was delivered to the table and we took what we wanted. When it was empty, they would bring more on request. It was a very different kind of dining experience.

The boys were visited by...




and Stitch.

For some reason, along the way, Aaron picked up a strange habit of poking the characters. The characters each handled it a little differently, but the best was Lilo poking Aaron right back!

Also included in the breakfast was a parade for the children with characters around the restaurant.

Aaron did not participate. Instead, he sat at the table crying because the characters wouldn't pick him up and carry him around. Did I mention that he was having a grumpy morning?

After the breakfast, we were off to our first morning in Magic Kingdom.

I'll share more about that later. I will also be sharing about the other character meal that we were generously treated to later this week.

Have a great Tuesday.


Shana W. said...

This looks like a fun time.

Timmy's Girl said...

Well, duh, doesn't Mickey always carry around little boys from Michigan in the parade?? I would definitely contact management about that one!

So glad you guys had fun. Looking forward to reading about the whole week! You were missed!

xoxo, Veronica in CA

Tammy said...

Very cool! It looks like you guys had a blast! :o)

AZMom said...

Looks like fun. I hope his fever went away! It's hard and overwhelming for the kids. I know my son had a hard time the first time we went to D-land.

Glad you had fun!

Deb - Mom of 3 Girls said...

I'm so glad that they got to see Mickey and Pluto too! :)

imadramamama said...

That's great that Lilo poked back, LOL!