Monday, July 19, 2010

Hamster Update

We have had our first experience with death in the Wheelz Home. Noah came to me and here is the conversation that followed...

"Mommy, Snowflake looks dead but her eyes are open."

"Honey, take her out and play with her and she'll probably perk up."

"Ew, no Mom, she is covered with brown stuff and she stinks."

Yup, I knew it. Snowflake is no more.

He brought the cage out and no question rigor mortis had already set in. I wish they hadn't found her like this, but such things somtimes happen. After searching unsuccessfully for a box in which to bury her, I decided that we would have to settle for wrapping her in the towels that were in her cage, digging the hole in the back yard as deep as possible, and calling it good.

Noah seemed to be doing okay at first, but as the whole thing started sinking in, he got more weepy over the next hour. Aaron added into the emotion and it was a very trying morning.

Noah kept trying to comfort Aaron by saying that Snowflake is in Heaven with God. But then , the questions started flowing that I did my best to answer. "Why do we bury things in the ground if they're in Heaven?" Why were her eyes still open if she was dead" Why did she have to die?" When are WE going to die?"

All good questions but I hate answering them.

As the day went on, I dropped Aaron off for a little "camp" put on by the fire department this week and took Noah to the mall for some one on one time. I really love it when it's just the two of us. We were able to have a talk about so many things that needed discussing, and then got some "cheer up ice cream".

He's doing much better now. Tomorrow while Aaron is gone, I promised him he could take some wood from the garage and create a cross for Snowflake. He's asking for a funeral too but I'm not so sure about that yet.

Meanwhile, I received a total of 12 emails from people responding the Craig's List ad for Snowflake. I sadly had to email each one of them back and tell them that the offer is off the table, but I have one family who is still interested in the cage and accessories so at least they will be put to good use.

So the Wheelz Home is back down to two pets. We really love Minne and Lily though so I hope that we don't have to deal with this again for a very long time.

2 comments:

JennyH said...

Oh no! That is kinda funny with his response of you telling him to pick her up and play!

Hope he doing OK with the whole thing.

Deb said...

Oh I'm so sorry for Noah! I know you wanted to find a good home for Snowflake, but am sorry that you had to become hamster-free in this way. The girls had a lot of questions too when our one kitten died, and Hannah still talks about missing Spots.