I had a disappointment on Monday morning. Let me give a little background first.
In Michigan, the cut off date for kindergarten is December 1st, which means that a lot of kids who are only four enter kindergarten each year. A large percentage of them end up repeating the following year because they just weren't ready maturity wise to be successful in that environment, no matter how "book smart" they are. Michigan is also changing their school funding requirements so that only full day, five day kindergarten programs will receive full state funding starting next school year.
To counteract the December first cut off, Young Fives programs have become very popular in our state. Parents whose kids are technically old enough to go to school, and even academically ready (like Aaron) but may not be mature enough to handle the work load, enroll in Y5's programs, which are generally a pretty good mix of preschool and kindergarten.
With Aaron being a late October birthday, I have always known that I think he would benefit from the extra year of Young 5's before kindergarten. But unfortunately, because of the funding changes, a large number of our local schools have nixed their Y5's programs for next year.
There was only one left, a charter school near our home. Yesterday was the lottery to get into the school. Aaron was 8th on the waiting list to get into the Y5's class.
That seems okay, right?
I was feeling pretty good about it until I talked to the principal. The kindergarten class is full with 95 KIDS on the waiting list. The kids who made it into the kindergarten classes will all be screened in April and any one deemed "not ready" automatically gets moved into the Y5's class, ahead of those who are on the waiting list. So by the time school gets out, Aaron may be 20 or 30 on the waiting list, or even lower.
I really have no other options for Aaron next year. If I were to put him into a kindergarten, it would be knowing that he would be there for two years. And since I don't want to put up with one, let alone two more years with the teacher that Noah had for kindergarten, I am totally stuck.
So as of right now, I have no place to send my little boy to school next year. I will be doing a lot of praying for guidance in this matter.
Thanks for listening. I needed to write out these thoughts before I stored them in the back of my mind for awhile.