Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thursday Thirteen: Mother's Day

I know probably a lot of people are doing this one today, but that's okay. I have come a long way this past year. Last year on Mother's Day, I sat around with the other women in my life crying about how horrible of a mom I was. And I REALLY was. I can't say that I am a great mom now. I know that I would NEVER win any mom of the year awards. I still lose my temper at times, and I am not very good about stopping and thinking about my reactions before they come. But I also know my feelings toward them and toward my parenting have become much more positive over this last year. For that I will be celebrating on Sunday.

I am also taking this chance to share the Mother's Day card that Noah brought home from school yesterday. I will cherish it forever.

Here are Thirteen Things I have learned about being a mom over the last year.

13. Every morning is a do over

12.Little boys are so forgiving

11. Reiterating a child's feelings ("I know you're _____ but ______") makes every argument less escalated and usually ends with said child fixing their behavior

10. It is VERY HARD to remember to do #11 when you are mad

9. My boys teach me as much as I teach them
8. Sometimes little boys are more correct about their school schedule than their mom.



7. If you have a concern regarding a child's need, it is okay to pursue it until it is resolved. Even if it means removing child from a non positive environment

6. It is okay to hand a child with a temper tantrum over to Daddy after a long day
5. It is NOT okay to THROW a temper tantrum AT Daddy after a stressful day

4. My heart melts every time I sit with my little boy while HE reads to ME.

3. My favorite gifts are the ones made with paper, markers, glue, and various craft items my children find around the house

2. I will stop anything for little boy hugs and kisses

1. I am so lucky to be a mom

I was talking to a very important mom in my life the other day. I was musing about whether I was being grumpy at the kids because I hadn't renewed my hormone prescription yet. She said something that made me laugh then, and it still does each time I think about it.

She said, "Kristi, you're not mad at the kids because of your hormones. You're mad at them because they're p*@#ing you off."

It made me feel better to remember that it isn't always the mom's fault. Sometimes those kids really are just being bad. Takes the pressure off a little, don't you think? That mom has always been the first to tell me when I am getting it right, and also when I'm getting it wrong. That is REAL parenting and I have been lucky to have her in my life.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you moms out there. Whether you are going into Mother's Day this year feeling good about your parenting, or not so good, remember that you are the only one who loves your kids as much as you do.

Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

marcia@joyismygoal said...

No greater sorrows or joys come than by being a mom

Courtney said...

I am stealing your idea...hope you don't mind. It'll be posted after lunch sometime.

Courtney said...

I didn't quite do what you did, but something else started flowing as I was attempting the TT.

Mitchypoo said...

Your note is adorable, something to cherish forever. Great list. And, Happy Mother's Day!

Mom Knows Everything said...

Awww what a wonderful list!

Nina said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your list makes you sound like a pretty darn good mom. All kids are going to push us and we all break down and get pretty P'd off. Just remember don't sweat the small stuff.

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

You are a BLESSED, Mama, Kristi!!

Loved the card from Noah. Obviously, you are doing a great job.

Have a great Mother's Day, Sweetie.
xoxo, Veronica in CA