Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tackle it Tuesday: Pillows

As you read this, I am probably sitting around at the resort pool or out finding something fun to with the family on our day off from the Disney Parks.

Although all of last week was one BIG tackle getting ready for our trip, I did do one "somewhat" crafty thing to get ready.

Knowing that I was going to pick the boys up and throw them in the car at 4:00 in the morning, I wanted to have pillows for them. I went to Target to get body pillows, but each pillow was $10 and then each pillowcase was ANOTHER $10 apiece. I figured that there was no way I was going to pay $40.

I bought the pillows and decided that I could figure out a way at home to cover them.
I do not own a sewing machine, nor would I know what to do with one if I did. I took one home ec class in 6th grade, but I got the thread mixed up so many times on the sewing machine that the teacher kicked me off, and I have been scared of them ever since.
So here I sit with two HUGE pillows that are being currently eaten by the Mutt (formerly known as the cat, Pumpkin) and I didn't want to spend a ton of money on fabric that I wasn't sure what to do with.















So I headed to the "linen closet" which is actually a very small hall closet STUFFED FULL with unmatched sets of sheets for many different sized beds, including ones that we don't even own anymore. (I guess that could be another tackle some time in the future...huh?) I pulled out two sheets that I didn't think we would use anymore and laid them out in the living room.

I was thinking that it would take FOREVER to hand sew these big huge pillowcases. So what else could I use?









How about the glue gun? When I was growing up, my mom had a major obsession with her glue gun, and glued EVERYTHING. We made fun of her constantly for it, which is why it is so funny that I have become so active with mine.















I spread out the pillow and sheet, inside out, and started on the long side, gluing the pieces together. Then I did the end and stuck the pillow inside. The sheet was about 18 inches too long and it kind of looks like a scene from CSI.















So Thursday night, I decided to try another idea. It was given to me by a friend of mine on my facebook page. What about if I took two regular pillow cases and merged them together (again with the glue gun)?









It worked so much better and I finished BOTH pillow cases in less than fifteen minutes.












Of course, Aaron hindered the process a tad when he decided he liked them just the way they were an d he NEEDED to lay on them in the hallway at that exact moment. Aaron decided to make a bed out of them right in the middle of the hallway.









I guess I will let you know when we get home home how the pillows actually worked out, but I was proud of how someone as UNCRAFTY as myself actually figured out a solution to my problem without spending money.

Have a great Tuesday.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Excellent idea! I never even thought of body pillows for a long trip!!

Stacey,momof 2 said...

Good thinking Mom...
"Happy St Pat's Day!" Me, I love to sew, however I have used sheets as curtians before--- cheap and easy--
not the greatest for keeping the sun out or the room warm but great for keeping a bit of privacy !

Deb said...

Hey, whatever works... :) I hope they worked well for the trip and that you guys are having a blast! I'm dying to know how your trip's going... :)

Courtney said...

Great job...I never would have thought about that. I hope that you are having a great time

Mom Knows Everything said...

That's a great idea! Hope you guys are having a blast! :o)